Frequently Asked Questions
Below you will find answers to commonly asked questions about selling used books at SellBooksNow. If your question is not answered below, please contact us for an answer.
- What types of books do you buy?
- Do you buy textbooks?
- Do you accept loose-leaf items?
- What type of books will you not buy?
- What if I send a book that does not meet your guidelines?
- I have a LARGE number of books that I am selling. Will you be able to help me?
- Will you consider buying rare or old books?
- Will you buy large quantities of books?
- Will you buy several copies of a given book?
- Do you buy books on CD (audio books)?
- What sort of physical condition should the books be in?
- Will you purchase ex-library books?
- Do you accept books that include CDs?
- What if my shipment contained the wrong edition or wrong book?
- Will you accept books in any condition?
- Will you purchase books with missing CDs, missing dust jackets, writing, underlining, and/or highlighting?
- Do you buy ex-library books?
- When and how do I get paid?
- How long does it take to get paid?
- How long after you receive my books will I get paid?
- Why was my payment lower than the original price quotation?
- What do I do when I have finished adding books to my seller cart?
- Is my personal information secure?
- I forgot my password. What do I do?
- What is my first shipping step?
- Now that I've placed my order, how long do I have to ship my books?
- Where can I find shipping materials?
- Who pays for the postage?
- What do I do if my computer doesn't print?
- How do I know when you've received my order?
- What if the packing slip is not included in the shipment?
- What if some of the books in shipment are not on the packing slip?
- What if the book title or edition is not the same as what's printed on the packing slip?
- What if some books in the shipment are not listed on the packing slip?
- What if some or none of my books are received by you?
Frequently Asked Questions
ISBN stands for International Standard Book Number. It is a unique numeric combination that is used for identifying commercial books. It began to be printed in most books from the mid seventies.
The ISBN number is usually printed with the bar code found at the back of a book, but it can also be
printed in the following locations:
• Back Cover: The ISBN is the 10 or 13 digit numeric combination that is preceded by the initials, and
printed together with the barcode at the back of a book. It is also the 13 digit combination that starts
with the numbers 978. The ISBN can likewise be printed in other locations of the back cover, typically,
at the bottom right corner.
• Copyright Page: The ISBN is always printed on this page of a book.
• Inside Dust Jacket: there are books that have the ISBN printed on the inside flap of the dust jacket.
We purchase both hard bound and paperback books that are still in good or better condition, which has an ISBN number and confirmed to be in demand in the used book market. Our quote box will indicate whether your book will be accepted once you enter the ISBN number and condition of your books.
We do accept textbooks but international or teacher's editions cannot be accepted.
Loose leaf items are accepted provided they are brand new and still in their original shrink wrap. Loose leaf items that have already been used will be disposed of.
Yes, CD or audio books are accepted.
A: We will not purchase the following books:
- Advanced Reading Copies / Uncorrected Proofs / Galley
- Copies Answer keys and solution manuals
- Any book or order from a customer attempting to make multiple orders within the same day in order to go around our quantity limits. If you have a large number of books which goes above our threshold, you can contact us first to see if we can accommodate them.
- Any book that is not qualified under our good book guideline
- Books on the occult
- Books that have been marked not for sale
- Books that were recorded on cassette tapes
- Custom edition books, which are school specific kinds of textbooks
- Disposed books that have their front cover torn off
- Encyclopedia sets
- Occult books
- Partial or incomplete sets
- Pornography Reader's Digest books
- Software or online course materials that have a one-time use subscription or registration
- Teacher's Editions and Annotated Instructor's Editions
- Textbooks of foreign or international edition
- Workbooks and Study guides that have been used We cannot purchase all of the books listed above although there was an initial offer from the website to buy them.
If a book you sent is included in our "will not buy" list, we are not going to consider it and you will not be paid for the title.
If the book you sent does not qualify under our "good condition guidelines" we will either pay you a lesser amount or refuse to pay for it.
Once your item is refused, it will be held by us for a 30 day period, during which you can have it returned to you at your expense. If the item is still with use after the 30 day period, we will either recycle or destroy it according to our company policies.
Only rare or old books that have an identified buyer can be bought. You can email us the details of the books that include their titles, authors, publishers, dates of publishing and book condition.
We accept books in large quantities but you have to tell us about them through our site and provide a number where we can reach you.
We buy several copies of the same title depending on our customer demand. Indicate how many copies are available with you when you enter your books. We will then contact you with the number of
The books must be in great condition. This means that it does not have the following
- Torn cover or pages
- Bent, frayed or dented cover corners
- Broken or worn bindings. All the pages should still be bounded firmly.
- Writings on the sides of the book such as a name written on the book edge. A small
- amount writing, underlines or highlights can be accepted provided that they do not constitute more than 20 percent of all the pages.
- If it is a workbook or a study guide, it must be clean and with no answers already filled in.
- Missing pages.
- Moisture or water damage such as stains, rings and crinkled pages.
- No damages from fire or smoke
- Any kind of strong odor such as cigar, cigarette or musty odors.
- Missing CD Rom for books that originally came with a disc. The CD ROM must be devoid of any defects.
- Labels that say the books are not for sale.
- Advance reading copies, promotional and screener book copies and/or uncorrected proofs.
- Editions for instructors and teachers
- Partial sets, like sending a volume of a two volume set.
If you send books that do not conform to the above requirements, they will not be eligible for payment and will be deducted from the total amount of your order and its associated charges for shipping. The computation will be based on weight. The weight of the unaccepted books will be deducted from the total weight of your books and the shipping charges adjusted accordingly. They will not be returned so please ensure that you send only books that conform to our quality requirements. You should also pack your items carefully since SellBooksNow will not be responsible for books that are damaged in transit, and will be treated by us as unacceptable.
To ensure that your books will get to us safely, please follow these simple tips:
Use only strong and corrugated boxes. Thin boxes like those used in cereals are not going to protect your books from damage during shipment.
- Avoid using plastic peanuts for packing. They shift during transit resulting to damaged pages.
- Almost all shipments we received that used plastic peanuts for packing resulted to a number of damaged books.
- Always use the right box size. Using big boxes to ship books resulted to damaged books in almost all cases. To be safe, keep the weight of the box containing your books under 35 pounds. Boxes that are too heavy will almost always result to damages.
- In filling up gaps in between packed books, use wadded up newspaper. The material can be wadded up tightly to provide the necessary protection for your books.
Books that originally came from libraries can be purchased as long as they conform to the requirements set forth in our conditions.
Such books are accepted provided that you send them along with the CD. We cannot accept books that have their CD's missing.
We cannot pay for the shipping or offered price for shipments that contain wrong editions or wrong books. The quoted amount and the accompanying shipping cost will be deducted from the original amount of the offer. The books will be held by us for 30 days after which you will be informed of the error. If you choose to have then returned, we will be glad to ship them back but only after receiving payment for the cost of shipping.
What happens if my books do not meet your condition requirements, and you do not accept all of them?
Books that were deemed unacceptable by Sellbooksnow.net will be shipped back at your expense. Items that remain with us after a 30 day period will be donated or recycled at our discretion so please familiarize yourself with our condition requirements. condition requirements.
Constant evaluation of the supply and demand in the market allows us to offer the best prices for used books. Our database is constantly updated accordingly to ensure that we offer the best possible pricesfor your used books.
Our pricing is kept simple and we offer a single quote for each of the books that meet or exceed our condition requirements. It is assumed that the books are in very good to brand new conditions and meet with our condition requirements when we make a price quotation. Sellbooksnow.net reserves the right to determine the condition of your books and to make deductions from the originally quoted price if necessary.
Once you are done adding books to your seller cart, you may then checkout. It is recommended that you login to your account at this time. If you do not have an account, you can always create a new one. You will have to give us your contact number so that we can call you and complete the transaction. The final step would be to confirm your order on the checkout screen and submit it to us.
Note: We need your books to be shipped to us within a week of your order date. If you cannot go to the post office within a week, we request that you make a new order.
All personal information given to us will not be given to any third party without a permission from you except if the said third party have agreed to our confidentiality requirements and the information will only be used to help us in operating our website, or if we are required by law to divulge your personal information.
You can click on the "Forget your Password" link found at the bottom of the login screen. This will take you to another page where you can have your password sent to your inbox, by entering your email address. You can then retrieve your password by accessing your email account.
After your books were submitted to us, login to your Account and find the "Approved for Shipment" status and "Print and Ship" button below.
It is required that all orders be in the mail within seven business days from the placement of the order. A friendly email will be sent to remind you of it. The reason why you have to send in your orders within seven business days is because of the constant variations in current prices. If you send in your books after seven working days, you may have your order cancelled. This will require you to create a new order that conforms to the current prices at that time.
A new box can be purchased from a store or you can get a used box for free. However, if it is a used box, make sure that it is still sturdy and without any residues or address labels that could potentially damage your books. Some of the best places for getting a used box are:
- Your local shopping mall –be sure that you have the permission of the manager or their security office
- Supermarket – inquire on the days when they get their deliveries so that you can ask for your boxes before they are compacted for recycling
- Inquire at individual retail outlets, small businesses and doctor's offices – usually these places have a supply of used boxes that they are only too glad to dispose of
- Check free postings in your local craigslist.org or Recycler.com
We will shoulder the shipping cost. We will provide you with instructions once the books are submitted by you.
If printing from your computer is not possible, you have a couple of options:
1. You can request them from us. We will then mail you the shipping labels.
2. You may also pay for the shipping and get a reimbursement from us once we have your order. This will be added as a shipping credit on the total order and the amount would be equal to the USPS Media mail rates, which is based on the weight of your books. If you use this option, we recommend that you ask for "Media Mail" from your Post Office.
As soon as we receive your shipment we are going to send a "Received" notification through email. Bear in mind that it may take up to 14 business days for Media Mail to arrive. You should also allow us a few days for processing since your books must be inspected once they arrive. You can login to your Account to view your order status anytime. Once we have inspected your books, they will be marked as "Processed", and the corresponding payment issued within 1 to 3 days from the date it was marked as "Processed.
We will find your order through your name or email address if you notify us of the slip. A note to print a packing slip once your shipment arrives will then be made. However, as long as there is a return address on your package, there should be no problems with the processing of your order.
You will be informed about any missing titles and of any damages sustained during shipment through the "Received" email notification we will send once we receive your package. We will hold your items as we wait for your reply. After 14 days, we will continue to process your order as is.
We will first check to see whether the items belong to another of your orders. If not and if we are buying the item, we will remove the previous item from your order and add the new edition or book. If we are not buying the items, we will hold them for 30 days; after that time, these items will be recycled or donated at our discretion.
We will first determine if the item belong to your other orders. If it is not and we are going to buy it, we will take out the item listed on your order and replace it with the new book or edition. If we are not going to take it, it will be held by us for 30 days, after which it will be donated or recycled, depending on our discretion.
The missing titles as well as any damage sustained by your package will be indicated on the "Received" notification we are going to send once your shipment arrives. We will hold your items as we wait for your reply.
After 14 days, processing will continue as is. You may use another shipping carrier but be advised that your credit will still be according to the USPS Media Mail rates depending on the weight of your books. Your shipment will be weighed upon arrival.
Should you choose to have a different carrier, please send your shipment to:
Our No, we do not accept walk-ins at this time.
It will usually take from 8 to 15 days for us to receive your books if they are mailed from the Post Office with our prepaid label. You will be notified via email of the receipt of your books. After we receive your order, we are going to inspect it. Once it is done, it will then be marked as "Processed" and the corresponding payment will be issued. The payment will either be made through a check that will be mailed to you or through PayPal within three working days after the date your books are received and processed.
You can receive payment either through a mailed check or PayPal.
PayPal allows you to send and receive money through electronic means. Once you receive money through it, you can either keep it in your PayPal account or transfer it to your regular bank. You will have to provide us with the email address you use on PayPal to allow us to send you the payment. If you do not have an account with PayPal, they will send you instructions on how to set up one.
When setting up an account with Sellbooksnow.net, you will have an option of receiving payment either through check or PayPal. We recommend that you select PayPal since it is more convenient, more secure and faster than a check.
If you are an existing user and want to change your payment preference to PayPal, you can do it through the "Update" link found in your Account.
From PayPal's website: "With more than 40 million member accounts in over 45 countries worldwide, PayPal is the world's largest online payment service. PayPal makes sending money as easy as sending email! Any PayPal member can instantly and securely send money to anyone in the U.S. with an email address.
- Go to your Account and log in
- Click on the "update" link. You should then see where you can change your payment preference
- Change your preference
- submit the change
- Log into your account by going to the login page at Sellbooksnow.net login
- Click on "update". You should then see where you can add or change PayPal email
- Add/change your PayPal email
- Submit the change
Not at this time.
Once we receive your books, they will be inspected by us. If we find books that do not meet our condition requirements, we may deduct from 10 to 100 percent from the quoted price, depending on the condition of your books. Discarded books will be kept for 30 days after which they can be returned at your expense.
The two main reasons are time and efficiency. We have received a great deal of positive feedback for the ease of use of our site, and it has been designed for the purchase of buying used books. If you are a new book wholesaler or distributor and would like to establish a business relationship with us, please contact us.
Yes. If you want your order cancelled, you may have your books shipped back at your expense. You will have to wait after our 30 day holding period expires though.
Items that were found unacceptable by Sellbooksnow.net will be shipped back at the seller's expense only. Unaccepted items will be held for 30 days after which they can either be recycled or given away at our discretion, so please familiarize yourself with our condition requirements.
We do not accept books from outside the United States at this time. The cost of shipping internationally is simply too high.
Problems using the site? We work hard to bring you the best selling experience. If you are having a problem using our site, please let us know!
GET EASY MONEY
- Let Us Know What You Think -